More smiles, less crankiness. That's what I'm aiming for.
- Paid to have groceries delivered. It's like magic - I place the order online and choose a delivery time, pay approximately five bucks, and all my groceries show up without me ever having to step foot in the store.
- Purchased baby gates for the top and bottom of our stairs. They're steep, and the railing is such that Elvie could fall right through. In theory, I could accompany her up and down each time she wants to go. In theory, this stage where she is flirting with danger will be fleeting. In practice, I couldn't get much of anything done if I didn't strap her in her stroller to ensure her safety while I completed a task. (She knows how to take opportunities to do what she shouldn't, the little smarty pants.)
- Delayed starting Zinashi's school term. There were so many good reasons to do it, and one of them was that I wasn't ready yet. (If you leave a comment stating that I am a selfish, negligent mother for this, I will not only delete it, but I will send both my children to your house to play a harmonica duet and then fight over who has the better harmonica. When you've figured out how to convince them that the harmonicas are exactly alike, for the love of Pete, you may bring them home to me.)
- Eaten chocolate chips directly out of the 2.5kg bag. At midnight.
- Started meal planning. Grocery delivery necessitates this, because I only want to pay that delivery fee once a week, but I'm also motivated because I want to cook in the way that's healthiest for my family, without a lot of fuss.
- Decided to stop cooking dinner on Saturday nights. You know what tastes better than a home cooked meal? Cheese fries at Shake Shack, that's what.
- Taken a little time for myself, to do only what is pleasurable to me, without guilt. That "without guilt" part is a big deal. But Deborah Gray said it would make me a better parent, so I am embracing that.
- Started working out again, at a level that is manageable. It's just seven minutes per day, and it makes a difference.
What do you do to lower your stress level? I'm looking for both practical and funny things. I'd like to try out something new.